The Victorian House Museum is a fine example of the wood and corrugated iron architecture, which is typical of Pilgrim’s Rest. This museum emphasises late Victorian (1880-1900) styles in the décor and furnishings. In the living room there are two upholstered chairs without arm rests, specifically designed to accommodate ladies with voluminous Victorian skirts. The use of linoleum on the floors and the numerous pictures and embroidered wall-hangings that decorate the interior walls, are all typical of this period. The characteristic ornateness of this era is moderately expressed in the house and garden (bearing in mind the rural nature of the surroundings), reflecting the lifestyle of the average residents of that period. Houses in this era had no indoor plumbing and although some houses had electricity by then, it was only for lighting.