Kruger Shalati The Train on the Bridge sits high above the Sabie River in South Africa’s iconic Kruger National Park within the Mpumalanga Province.
Why We Love it and You Will Too
- As a restored locomotive stationed on the Selati Bridge, this train-hotel is unlike any luxury accommodation found within Kruger Park.
- A stay here offers infinite views over the Sabie River, where thirsty birds and animals arrive to drink.
- Continue your game viewing from your glass-walled room, the dedicated walkway, or overhanging pool where you can quench your thirst with a crisp G&T.
- The Kruger Shalati service is second-to-none, with traditional safari activities available like guided game drives and bush walks.
- The décor is smart and contemporary with spacious carriage-style accommodation – think en-suite bathrooms with walk-in showers.
Your Kruger Shalati The Train On The Bridge Experience
Stationed on the disused Selati Bridge above the Sabie River, Kruger Shalati stands as the most unique accommodation within the Kruger National Park to date.
Re-envisioned within an old, restored train, it pays homage to khaki-clad travellers who ventured into the reserve back in the day via rail. Thinking back to the time of James Stevenson-Hamilton (the original warden of the reserve), travelling into this wilderness wonderland in the early 1920s would entail an overnight stay in the exact place where the hotel is currently located.
Consisting of 31 rooms (24 carriage rooms and seven in the nearby Bridge House), this luxury locomotive is tailored for all-out opulence and immersive comfort. To make the most of the plummeting views, there’s a dedicated viewing deck and a swimming pool jutting out beyond the train tracks. Floor-to-ceiling glass windows add to the visceral experience.
Paying homage to a bygone era, everything about this exquisite train-hotel is unparalleled and enchanting. It’s an experience that die-hard adventurers and dreamers cannot compare to anything else.