Paul P Ahlers had the Central Garage erected on the present site in 1924. The original building was slightly smaller than the present building. In 1926 Mr Ahlers employed a building contractor from Ermelo, a Mr J C de Klerk, to enlarge the building to its present size. The workshop section at the back of the building was added to the structure in the 1940’s. Paul Ahlers operated the Central Garage as a Chevrolet Motor agency from 1924 to 1946. He also supplied a taxi service between Pilgrim’s Rest and the Graskop Station and bus tours to the Kruger National Park. In 1946, Ahlers sold the business to his son-in-law, Mr Landman. In 1953 Landman sold the business to S W and J P D Burger. The original Central Garage building was demolished in the early 1950’s and the Central Garage business moved to the Alcock’s building next to the Royal Hotel. The Central Garage was operated in this building until 1983 when the business moved to the present Highwayman’s Garage site.