Who we are
Museums are institutions that conserves a collection of artifacts and other objects of artistic, cultural, historical, or scientific importance. They preserve our natural and cultural history and give us a glimpse of a bygone era and also celebrates human achievement. Visiting museums gives us a better understanding of our history, our fellow citizens and our world.
The Museums and Heritage Services of the Mpumalanga Department of Culture Sport and Recreation aims to promote respect for cultural diversity in South Africa and appreciation of our natural heritage. The Museum Service therefore sets out to build understanding and pride of our diverse heritage through the affiliated museums.
- To establish, upgrade and maintain museum infrastructure.
- To facilitate access to museum facilities and programmes.
- To achieve international standards in collections care and management.
- To transform museum content and museum exhibitions.
- To entrench quality education services for schools and provide opportunities for lifelong learning for all.
- To ensure service excellence at museums in the major centres.